There are billions of websites on the internet, and the one thing they all have in common is to present information. The content of their presentations may include text, images, sounds, flash slideshow and other content.
Web design is not an easy task, before creating and uploading a website, it is important to take the time to consider thoroughly what you need to do for building a website.
What You'll Need to Make a Website
Web hosting:Hosting is where you put your website and Web pages. Everyone is able to see them online. So the first thing you need to do is to find a Web hosting provider.
There are several types of Web hosting options you can choose from:
- Free Web hosts
- Standard Web hosting
- Dedicated, Virtual, and Shared Hosting
Domain Name:You don't need a domain name to put up a website. You can put up a site on free hosting or even paid hosting plans without a domain name. A domain name provides extra branding for your site and makes it easier for people to remember the URL. But domain names cost money, typically between $8 and $35 a year.
Website Planning:Once you've gotten a domain and decided on your URL, you can start planning your site. You need to decide:
- Types of site - Most websites are either news/information, product, or reference sites. As such they each have a slightly different focus.
- Navigation - The navigation affects the information architecture of your site.
- Content- Content is the actual pages you'll be building.
Web Pages building:You need to build a website page by page. Firstly you should be familiar with:
- Design Basics - The elements of good design and how to use it on websites.
- Learning HTML - HTML is the building block of a Web page. While it's not absolutely required, you'll do better if you learn HTML than if you don't.
- Learning CSS - CSS is the building block of how pages look. And learning CSS will make it easier for you to change your site's look when you need to.
- Web Page Editors -Finding the perfect editor for your needs will help you learn design, HTML, and CSS.
Website Publishing:Publishing your website is a matter of getting the pages you created up to the hosting provider. You can do this with either the tools that come with your hosting service or with FTP clients. Knowing which you can use depends upon your hosting provider. Contact them if you are not sure.
Website Promotion:The easiest way to promote your website is through search engine optimization. You build your Web content so that it ranks well in search engines. This can be very difficult, but it is inexpensive and can result in good results if you work at it. Other ways to promote your site include: word of mouth, email, and advertising. You should include your URL on all professional correspondence and whenever it makes sense in personal messages. I put my URL in my email signature along with my email address.
Website Maintenance:Maintenance can be the most boring part of website design, but in order to keep your site going well and looking good, you need to do it. Testing your site as you're building it and then after it's been live for a while is important. And you should also work on content development on a regular basis.
And that's it! Hope the steps above can help you a lot to make or design your website.